About the Organization:
BlueOrchard Finance S.A. was founded in 2001 as the first commercial manager of microfinance debt investments. Over the subsequent eleven years, BlueOrchard has grown significantly and has to this day deployed approximately USD 2bn in loans to microfinance institutions. BlueOrchard indirectly provides access to microcredit to over 30 million individuals across 50 countries. Investors in BlueOrchard-managed funds include private and institutional investors, supranational institutions as well as renowned foundations. The company employs 40 staff internationally including 20 investment professionals in Geneva, New York, Lima, Phnom Penh, Bishkek, and Johannesburg.
About the Job:
BlueOrchard Finance S.A. is seeking an Associate Intern who will be part of the investment team and will provide support to other members of the team. The investment team is responsible for managing a portfolio of MFIs. The Intern's primary responsibilities will include assistance to the investment team members in managing head of the regional office's (ROs) clients and loan portfolios. S/he will receive on the job training on BlueOrchard Finance (BOF) policies and processes and will have a chance to work on a variety of microfinance markets, which will give him/her an excellent overview of the microfinance industry. The internship is located in Geneva, Switzerland. The start date for internship is May 15, 2013 and will last for a period of 6 months.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
MFI relationship management:
- Perform research on and monitoring of microfinance markets, as well as other research as required and collect and report relevant information to supervisors;
- Collect, sort, analyze and file MFIs’ documentation, including but not limited to operational, financial and social information;
- Support Investment Team members in preparation of credit proposals;
- Perform administrative tasks and assist in other duties as assigned by Investment Team members related to closing transactions, disbursement of loan proceeds and follow-up;
- Support Investment Team members in monitoring performance of MFI clients and assist in monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annual analytical reviews, credit risk assessment of the outstanding loans to the MFIs;
- Update pipeline of deals in the BOF MIS in accordance to the indications of the Investment Team members.
Due diligence (DD) of MFIs:
- Assist in planning and preparing due diligence trips to MFIs, including but not limited to pre-DD desk reviews of the existing and potential clients, submission of requests to and receipt of initial data from the MFIs, completion of pre-DD documentation;
- Assist in drafting MFI Due Diligence reports;
- Organize and file pre-DD, DD and other relevant documentation.
- Carry out desk research and assist Investment Team in preparing reports on country risk, including, but not limited to macroeconomic, political, legal, regulatory, market, and other risks;
- Carry out desk research and assist in preparing and updating information and reports on regulatory and competitive environment of the local microfinance sector;
- Assist in drafting and updating country risk reports;
Portfolio and investors reporting;
- Assist investment team members in performing portfolio analysis and reporting to supervisors, portfolio managers and investors;
- Assist with fund management tasks, as required;
- Organize and maintain client electronic and physical files and update all relevant documentation.
- Good knowledge of financial analysis;
- General knowledge of assessing credit risk;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written;
- Advanced personal organization and planning skills and ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Result-driven, able to work in a fast paced environment, flexible with “hands-on” approach and willingness to perform both technical and administrative tasks;
- Excellent written and spoken English skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, with advanced skills using Excel
Knowledge & experience:
- Degree (or pursuing a degree) in finance, business administration, economics, or related field;
- Interest in impact investing, double bottom line returns and microfinance in emerging markets, developing economies and in markets in transition.
- Team player with ability to work in a multi-national and multi-cultural environment;
- Ambition to excel;
- Openness and willingness to learn from others
- Ability to effectively work in small teams and in highly challenging work environments and conditions, flexibility and capability and willingness to assist other team members with their tasks;
- Ability to identify and formulate critical issues, pragmatic approach to analysis of data, information and facts and capability to draw appropriate conclusions from the information available;
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines;
- Self-starter with good work habits and positive energy.
Specific key performance indicators (KPI):
- Quality of analysis; - Quality of support in monitoring the pipeline;
- Quality of collaboration with the colleagues;
- Quality of communication and relationship internally as well as occasionally with third parties (e.g., investors, regulators, legislators, government representatives, and other stakeholders).
Closing Date: 08 Mar 2013
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can send their resume, cover letter, and references to Wiebke Bartz